The holiday season kicks off with Halloween. Keeping your teeth healthy and white is tough this time of year, but it’s also when those family photos and holiday events bring out your smile. Professional teeth whitening can brighten your smile in time for the holidays, but the leftover Halloween candy and Thanksgiving festivities take a toll on your teeth.
When you come in for in-office whitening treatments or choose our customized take-home trays, you want your results to last as long as possible. Unfortunately, the same dietary and lifestyle habits that caused your tooth staining in the first place can cause more discoloration. We can help you with teeth whitening touch-ups following your treatment as well.
Our Salt Lake City cosmetic dentist offers teeth whitening and has these tips for keeping your smile beautiful and bright this holiday season:
- Rinse daily to stop bacteria and plaque buildup. Some over-the-counter rinses provide additional whitening benefits to help improve and retain your teeth whitening results.
- Avoid drinks and habits known to cause tooth stains such as coffee, soft drinks, tea, red wine, and smoking. We realize these are habits that are tough to break, so if you must have your morning coffee, make sure to rinse your mouth out (even if it’s water instead of mouthwash) afterward.
- Check your medications. Some medications such as antibiotics, specifically doxycycline and tetracycline, cause tooth discoloration, especially when children take them while their teeth are still growing in, which typically happens before they turn eight. Certain mouthwashes can also cause stained teeth.
- Try to stay away from foods and beverage that are acidic because they can wear down and weaken your tooth enamel. Your tooth enamel provides that shiny exterior look that makes your smile sparkle. When that protective outer layer breaks down, the yellow dentin beneath it begins to show through.
- Practice proper dental hygiene habits. Your teeth whitening results will only stay pearly-white if you remember to brush your teeth twice a day and floss once a day. It’s also recommended that you rinse with mouthwash for 30 seconds at least once a day.
Schedule Your Teeth Whitening Treatment in Salt Lake City
Over-the-counter teeth whitening options such as strips and toothpaste promise to drastically whiten your teeth but often fail to deliver. Some of these products may even do more harm than good, leaving you with uneven whitening and stripping the enamel from your teeth. Professional teeth whitening is the best way to achieve brighter teeth safely. Now is the perfect time to schedule your treatment so you can have a radiant smile for the holidays.
If you’re interested in teeth whitening or it’s time for a dental exam and cleaning, please contact our dentist in Salt Lake City today at (801) 216-3713 to schedule your appointment. Warr Dental serves patients in surrounding areas of Salt Lake City, Utah including West Valley City and Draper.