You may notice that your teeth become dull or discolored over time. Part of this is due to the natural aging process — as time goes on, your teeth simply do not remain quite as white as they were when you were younger. There are several factors that can contribute to or accelerate this discoloration process, including:
- Smoking and the use of other tobacco products
- Consumption of drinks that stain (for example, dark drinks such as coffee, black tea, red wine and cola drinks)
- The use of certain medications
- Highly mineralized drinking water
- Gum and tooth diseases
- Poor dental hygiene
During your appointment, our dentists will evaluate your teeth and discuss your whitening goals with you in order to help you achieve your desired shade of white. However, there is a cap on how white your teeth can become. This cap depends partly on the cause of your tooth discoloration (for example, some antibiotics can cause lasting stains on your teeth) but also on genetic factors. Here at Warr Dental, we offer free checks to give you an accurate assessment for your whitening treatment and the final shade of white you can achieve.
Possibly. Successfully whitening your teeth at home depends on the whitening product you use. Many stores carry over-the-counter whitening kits for at-home use. However, the whitening agents in those kits are not as strong as the those used by our dentists in a professional treatment. This is especially true of products such as whitening toothpaste, which does not remain in contact with your teeth for long enough to make a noticeable difference in the shade of your teeth. If you are interested in whitening your teeth at home, we recommend using a custom whitening tray. Our dentists can create these trays and provide whitening gel for you so that you can whiten your teeth yourself while receiving professional-grade results.
Professional teeth whitening offers significantly better results for your smile. Benefits of choosing professional whitening include:
- You can choose the shade of white you want to achieve.
- We use stronger and more effective whitening agents.
- We take care to protect your gum tissue.
- Your teeth are whitened evenly.
- Treatment is faster and provides immediate results.
- Our dentists can monitor your results to ensure your achieve the desired shade of white for your teeth.
- Over-the-counter whitening takes longer and produces more inconsistent results.
- Professional whitening is more comfortable, safe and effective.
There are many options available for whitening your teeth, from professional in-office whitening to do-it-yourself options that can be purchased in drugstores or grocery stores. It is important to understand the differences between these treatments before choosing how you would like to whiten your teeth. We encourage you to consider the following when comparing different methods of teeth whitening:
- How long it takes to achieve results.
- The quality of your results.
- Your risk of gum sensitivity and irritation as a result of treatment.
Over-the-counter whitening products often fall short of their promised results and can take several weeks (sometimes even longer) before you see any results. The strength of the whitening agents in over-the-counter products also varies. Additionally, some over-the-counter products may cause damage to tooth enamel and gum tissue, increase tooth sensitivity, or contribute to gum recession. A professional whitening treatment uses more powerful whitening agents, is safer for use, whitens teeth evenly and produces long-lasting results. It is also monitored by our dentists, ensuring that no damage to your teeth or gums occurs. In-office whitening involves the use of a protective guard that prevents the whitening gel from touching your lips and gums, while take-home whitening trays are customized for a snug fit and prevent the gel from leaking out to touch your gums.