Porcelain veneers are a great way to restore a beautiful smile from tooth problems such as chips, cracks, and gaps in the teeth. These thin, porcelain shells are placed over your existing teeth to correct these imperfections that show when you smile or speak. Our patients in the Salt Lake City area can benefit from the versatility and natural look of this cosmetic dentistry option, so you’re proud to show off your teeth.
If you have minor cosmetic issues with your teeth, porcelain veneers could be the best way to give you a stunning smile. Contact our cosmetic dentist at Warr Dental today at (801) 876-6556 to schedule your exam and consultation. Dr. Warr and our experienced staff serve patients in surrounding areas of Utah including Draper and West Valley City.
We understand our patients interested in porcelain veneers have many questions, including:
- What are Porcelain Veneers?
- What Tooth Problems Can Porcelain Veneers Fix?
- The Pros and Cons of Porcelain Veneers
- Am I a Candidate for Porcelain Veneers?
- What are the Alternatives to Porcelain Veneers?
- Why Choose Warr Dental in Salt Lake City
What are Porcelain Veneers?
Veneers are often made of porcelain, but in some cases, might be formed using a tooth-colored composite material. Porcelain veneers mimic the shiny outer layer of your teeth (enamel) which offers a natural look that’s matched to the shade of your other teeth as well. They are “wafer-thin” shells that are placed and bonded over the front of one or more of your teeth. Porcelain veneers are often combined with teeth whitening or another cosmetic dentistry option for a “smile makeover” to provide a bright, flawless smile.
The process of porcelain veneers requires just two visits to Warr Dental after your initial consultation:
- During your first appointment, Dr. Warr will prepare your teeth for the veneer shells by removing a small amount of your tooth surface, taking an impression, and applying temporary veneers. This allows you to test the veneers and make sure they fit comfortably and correctly.
- Your permanent veneers are customized in a lab, and we will fit them during your second appointment. The entire process is designed to be non-invasive and virtually painless.
Dr. Warr studied at the Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies to provide the best dental care and results possible. He will spend time making sure you’re happy with the look and feel of your porcelain veneers before bonding them to your teeth.
What Tooth Problems Can Porcelain Veneers Fix?
Porcelain veneers can correct more tooth problems than you may realize. In fact, many celebrities choose porcelain veneers to cover minor issues such as chips. These tooth imperfections can also be addressed with veneers:
- Gaps between teeth
- Teeth that are worn or damaged
- Slightly crooked teeth
- Uneven tooth lengths
- Tooth discoloration
- Teeth with a rough surface such as craters
- Broken teeth
This cosmetic dentistry procedure can address severe tooth discoloration caused by poor oral hygiene, root canal treatment, and staining from taking certain medications. Porcelain veneers also add an extra layer of strength, protecting the tooth underneath. However, if you have gum disease or tooth decay, it’s essential to restore your oral health before addressing aesthetic concerns.
The Pros and Cons of Porcelain Veneers
The most notable benefit of porcelain veneers is how natural they look next to your given teeth. The sheer and shiny surface improves your tooth’s appearance. Other pros of porcelain veneers include:
- Blending nicely with other teeth and gum tissue
- Resistant to staining such as that from drinking wine or tea
- Can be combined with tooth whitening to achieve a brighter appearance that matches the new veneer
- Does not require as much tooth shaving and reduction as dental crowns, but still offers a strong base and improvement
- Doe not need special care, just proper oral hygiene including brushing twice a day, flossing once a day, and rinsing with water or mouthwash after meals
- Long-lasting results, up to 15 years
- A streamlined process that provides improvement within two visits
Like any procedure, there are some drawbacks of porcelain veneers, in which case, another form of cosmetic improvement can provide better results for your individual needs. These cons include:
- The process is irreversible once the permanent porcelain veneers are bonded to your teeth. If you think you may want to remove them in the future, lumineers® might be a better option for you as they require little to no tooth reduction and can be reversed.
- Porcelain veneers are made of a durable material, but they can still chip or crack, particularly if you’re prone to grinding or clenching your teeth, chewing on pencils or ice, and biting your nails.
- Removing a small portion of your tooth enamel can increase tooth sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures.
- Porcelain veneers do not respond to tooth whitening, so any whitening treatments should be completed beforehand.
Am I a Candidate for Porcelain Veneers?
Many men and women interested in porcelain veneers are good candidates for the procedure, but you must have a healthy mouth before beginning the process. Gum disease can progress quickly without proper brushing and flossing, putting you at risk of losing a tooth from the lack of supportive tissue.
Periodontal treatment may be necessary to get your teeth and gums ready for porcelain veneers. This also applies if you have tooth decay or an abscess. While the cosmetics of your smile are important, the overall health of your teeth, gums, and jawbone are the first concern.
Porcelain veneers could be right for you if you have one or more of these tooth problems:
- Significant staining that doesn’t respond to whitening treatments
- Minor concerns such as misshapen teeth, cracks, and other flaws
- More than one aesthetic problem with your smile, as porcelain veneers can address several issues at once
- Slightly misaligned teeth
Dr. Warr will discuss your options during your initial exam and consultation and create a treatment plan to achieve your desired results.
What are the Alternatives to Porcelain Veneers?
Grinding your teeth, insufficient tooth enamel for reduction, and poor oral health are the biggest signs that veneers might not be your best outlet for improving your smile. In that situation, Dr. Warr may recommend one or more of these alternatives to porcelain veneers:
- Dental Bonding: Applies composite resin to the tooth without removing any enamel. Similar to porcelain veneers, the resin material is customized to match the adjacent teeth, sculpted, and polished to provide natural-looking results.
- Teeth Whitening: We offer two types of whitening options. The in-office whitening treatment involves Zoom!® Tooth Whitening and immediate results. Our customized take-home trays brighten your teeth gradually in the comfort of your house. Tooth whitening can only address stains caused by lifestyle habits such as smoking, drinking red wine, and other dark beverages. Deep stains caused by medications, silver (amalgam) fillings or trauma to the tooth or mouth do not respond to teeth whitening.
- Dental Crowns: Crowns are comparable to porcelain veneers only they cover the entire tooth instead of the front portion. Dental crowns strengthen your tooth and are less invasive.
- Orthodontics: If your main concern is crooked or crowded teeth, orthodontics such as traditional braces, clear braces, or Invisalign® can give you a straightened smile. The pitfall is that orthodontic work can take anywhere from six months to several years.
Why Choose Warr Dental in Salt Lake City
Dr. Warr is an experienced and highly-trained cosmetic dentist who will discuss your concerns with your smile and come up with the best way to reach them while also maintaining a healthy mouth. He offers both porcelain veneers and Lumineers® for those who want subtle improvement with fingernail-thin shells. Dr. Warr and our skilled staff in Salt Lake City will work closely with you to address all of your tooth issues and give you a stunning smile.
Warr Dental offers restorative, general, and family dentistry along with cosmetic dentistry, which allows us to address poor oral health and work toward restoring your teeth to the shade, shape, and alignment that you’re happy to show off. Those who are embarrassed by their smile are less likely to smile during an interview, date, or work meeting, which can be off-putting and may even limit your career and social life. Your teeth and smile are often the first things someone notices when meeting you for the first time.
If you’re embarrassed by your smile or have some of the tooth problems listed above, you may be a great candidate for porcelain veneers. Contact Warr Dental in Salt Lake City, Utah today at (801) 876-6556 to schedule your dental exam and consultation, or you can schedule a virtual consultation! We serve patients in nearby areas including Draper and West Valley City.